[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Boxofit.com - View topic - Self-contained Skyscraper
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Self-contained Skyscraper 

I'd like to build an arcology with a fully self-contained and sustainable environment. Food, water, electricity, housing, employment, recreation, shopping, entertainment, education, healthcare, and green space all within a single building.

In order to achieve such a design, I'd first like to ask a few questions to the community:

1. Good idea?
2. What else should go in there?
3. The height limit is 256 right?
4. Would anyone be interested in reserving a condo in the building?

I don't have a good name for it yet. I was considering Wright Tower or Martin Arcology in honor of two of the greatest names in city building. What do you guys think?

Secretary of Defense
Chairman, Transport for AYU
Founder of wootrail
Deputy Director of the Border Force

Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:59 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Literally just went and googled "Arcology."

It's the first time I've ever heard of one, but I think it'd be cool to try and build one in Minecraft. It'll be really neat to see if we can get some working lights, and a drainage system somewhere in there. As far as your questions go, unless James manually increased it the build limit should be 256. This kind of project would have been amazing in Tekkit because then we could utilize stuff like solar paneling, batteries, and stuff like that. As is, I think it'll be really fun.

Since an Arcology is supposed to be self sufficient I think there should be a recreational area inside, like a big park, or rooms with little games like a spleef arena, or even a maze on one floor for fun. If it's supposed to support a large number of people there has to be some kind of entertainment, or there'd be rioting.

Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:39 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am all for running a Tekkit Server on the side of Boxcraft - if Tekkit's still a thing.

EDIT: Turns out, Tekkit is still very much a thing and it seem to have come a considerable ways since a few years back... Also, I've put it on my PC and am going to play around with it to see if I can figure out how to do a Dedicated Server.

Further Update: Tekkit is awesome, but resource heavy. My computer started huffing and puffing when I got my forcefield working, I can't imagine how it would handle a small number of players each of whom are piping liquids, launching rockets, using force fields, and having solar panels track the sun's position in the sky...

Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:28 pm

My intention was to work with more or less the resources we have on the server now. Only thing more I'd like is an Elevator mod or something.

Secretary of Defense
Chairman, Transport for AYU
Founder of wootrail
Deputy Director of the Border Force

Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:21 pm

We're looking at 34 floors above ground, and ten floors under ground.

Floor B10 (depth 13) - Bunker
Floor B09 (18) - Security Nexus
Floor B07 (23) - Utility
Floors B07-B05 (28-38) - Shopping Concourse
Floor B04 (43) - Underground Line 3 Platforms
Floor B03 (48) - Underground Line 3 Concourse
Floor B02 (53) - Assembly Hall, Neighborhood Association
Floor B01 (58) - Plaza (recreation)
Ground (63) Lobby, Security
Floors 1- 5 (68-88) - Offices
Floors 6-10 (93-113) - Hotel
Floor 7 (118) - Medical