[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Boxofit.com - View topic - Transferring Large Files?
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Transferring Large Files? 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Davy and I have been trying to do a few youtube let's plays lately, but some of our goals simply aren't achievable because they require one person (specifically me, playing the role of editor) to have access to both raw video recordings.

These raw video recordings can be gigs in size, depending on resolution, framerate, and length of the recording. Google Drive proved useless for moving over such large single files, and regrettably I don't have a server through which to create a VPN with centralized storage - so right now the best thing I could do is a Peer to Peer network which would require both of our computers to remain consistently online through the entire upload/download process.

Obviously, the most ideal solution to this problem is to win the lottery, never work again, and game in the same building with direct LAN connecting all the stations. Regrettably, that lottery part has been difficult to nail down, so I'm looking for the next best thing. Some sort of cloud storage solution that offers 50+ Gigs of storage space and utilizes part files and checks (so that it works like a torrent: What's that, your internet flickered because you live in Alabama and the only ISP in your area is unreliable? No worries, you'll resume as soon as you're back online. What's this, your power flickered because you're out in the boonies and the power company is less reliable than former president Bush's foreign policy? Don't sweat it - once you're up and running again, you'll pick up where you left off).

Failing that, the next best option will be to go ahead and encode the file down from Camtasia's massive .CAMREC file to a more managable .MP4, and transfer it via conventional methods -- but ultimately, the problem with enconding and then re-encoding these HD video files is a loss of fidelity and potential audio-video desynchronization -- so I'd like to avoid that where at all possible.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:46 pm

I dunno.

For big files, normally I FTP to my webserver, which supports resuming transfers. I would suggest torrenting, but you've looked into that. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Secretary of Defense
Chairman, Transport for AYU
Founder of wootrail
Deputy Director of the Border Force

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]